The Governing Body has a general responsibility for seeing that the school is run effectively, acting within the framework set by legislation and the policies of the Local Authority (LA), so that it provides the best possible education for its pupils. They are not expected to take detailed decisions about the day-to-day management of the school; that is the job of the Headteacher.
POWERS AND DUTIES OF THE GOVERNING BODY
- Helping to establish (with the Head-teacher) the aims and policies of the school, and how the standards of education can be improved.
- Deciding the conduct of the school, that is, how in general terms it should be run.
- Helping to draw up (with the Head-teacher and staff) the School Development Plan.
- Helping to decide how to spend the school’s budget.
- Making sure that the National Curriculum and religious education are taught.
- Selecting the Head.
- Appointing, promoting, supporting and disciplining other staff.
- Acting as a link between the local community and the school.
- Drawing up the action plan after an inspection and monitoring how the plan is put into practice.
To ensure that the work of the Governing Body is effectively carried out, a number of committees have been created. Each committee has a specific area of responsibility and some delegated powers. All committees report to, and are responsible to the full Governing Body. The committees are as follows:
- Finance & Resources
- Pupils & Curriculum
Chair: Mrs Leah Head
Vice-Chair: Mrs Jenny Pickard
Clerk to Governors: Mr Neil Chilton
- Mrs Janet Dickson (Headteacher)
- Mr Andrew Lynham (Executive Headteacher)
- Mrs Lisa Foxley (Staff Representative)
Co-Opted Governor: Mr Edward Powe (Deputy Headteacher)
LA Governor: Mr Jon Williams (Chair of Pupils & Curriculum Committee)
- Mrs Leah Head (Chair of Governors)
- Mr David Chandler
- Mr Chris Sledge (Chair of Finance & Resources Committee)
- Mrs Alison Mortlock
- Mr Roger Smale
- Mrs Jenny Pickard
- Mrs Adele Moore
- Mrs Alison Walker
Please find below the governors’ impact statement for 2019-20
Governors’ Impact Statement 2019-2020